7 Nov 2013

My first finished shawl

















Whilst on holiday in Cumbria last week I finished the South Bay Shawlette I had begun several months ago. Over the course of this project crochet has gradually changed from being something new, slightly daunting and rather like a tricky form of maths, to a soothing, meditative craft that I reach for when I have a spare moment. Finally crochet has become part of the everyday for me which is thrilling.







The Manos del Uruguay silk blend yarn I used (Europa 9695 colourway) is an absolute joy. It has a slight sheen, is as soft as a baby rabbit and changes colour every stitch or two. I'm certain that just the sight of the mossy green changing almost imperceptibly into muted teal then greyish mauve triggered happy chemicals in my noggin. 



This is my favourite part of the colour wheel. Add all these subtle colours together and I seem to have crocheted a heathery Scottish hillside. 



One of the best things about this shawl is the tiny woolly arches I appear to have made every alternate row. Each arch is made from seven treble crochet stitches worked into a little triangular space made of chain stitches - so satisfying. I'd rather like to live beneath one of these arches. I think the colours, the warmth and the softness would make it a very desirable residence


I've been wearing the shawl every day since I completed it. It is making my neck extremely cosy and happy. I admit to felling quite proud to have finished this.