26 Apr 2012

Garden-inspired





I'm increasingly realising that the garden and the things that grow in it are an essential part of the jewellery that I make. I stand washing up at the sink and can see clumps of forget-me-nots, cowslips, primulas, bluebells, miniature narcissus and pulmonaria. They're like tiny pastel fireworks. The urge to mimic their shapes in silver is very strong.



The flowers that pop up at this time of year are some of my favourites and, excitingly, my new enamels echo many of their colours  I've still got a good deal to learn about enamelling but the buzz of bringing a newly enamelled piece, red hot, from the kiln and watching as it cools to see how the colours look is hard to beat. It's a mysterious business, a little like alchemy, but it's a good feeling when it works.













As well as my kiln-based antics I've visitied a few antique markets recently. My eyes are always searching for lockets and charms. You may remember the little heart-shaped Georg Jensen locket I found a couple of years ago. These Georg Jensen pieces really are special finds and the detective work needed on their various marks and stamps is so exciting. This larger oval one was imported especially from Denmark into the Bond Street Jensen boutique during the 1950s. I've teamed it with a cluster of gems and a handmade silver forget-me-not that echoes the engraving.



This little birdcage charm was another favourite recent find. There's something about the minute filligree silver wirework and the tiny birds sitting inside on their perch that brings back the utter joy of being in a dolls house shop aged 8 and seeing the teeny knives, forks and candlesticks.



All these new pieces are in my etsy shop and I'll be adding more in the coming weeks. The necklaces below are also made from tiny found objects, each of which has a history of its own. They are waiting in the wings for a lull between commissions before they're popped on the shelves.






 In the meantime I am happy to take orders on the knitting necklace.

In other news:


  • There is still space on my silver clay workshop on Saturday 5th May. We will be making SPring-inspired fine silver jewellery. Click here to see.
  • There is a knitting design competition based on The Killing running at the moment. It's rather a tight deadline but the winning jumper may end up on the show.