26 Mar 2013

One a day



My recent daffodil post was wishful thinking- the season seems very very reluctant to change. This week Littlest has had another bout of 'flu-like illness and after complaining of a very sore neck we made a hasty visit to the doctor. With enormous relief we discovered that all was relatively well and that calpol and rest were all that was needed. I can hardly express how grateful I was when the doctor told me how last year's wet summer has meant that there have been three peaks of 'flu this season rather than the usual one, especially in young children. It hasn't been my imagination: in terms of Calpol consumption this winter really has been rather grim.

In recent days I realised that I needed a strategy to prevent me from succumbing to calpol cabin fever and possible where-is-the-blimmin'-Spring gloom. I remembered this post by Julie about one small creative endeavour per day. She chose to make a square of beautiful crochet towards a blanket, almost as a daily meditation and to fend off any lurking glass half empty-style thoughts. I didn't have a large project in mind but I'm resolving to take a creative half hour or so for myself per day if possible.



This afternoon Littlest rallied a little and she was even able to help me with my first project. I have been dreaming of a quick biscuit version of this divine cake and thought that an almond and cherry biscuit recipe given to me by a friend might have scope for tinkering. My first attempt was far too wet and spread too much - I needed more dry ingredients to counter the lemon juice. This afternoon, though, my alterations were a success. These biscuits aren't quite as lemony as Nigella's wonderful cake as life's too short to drizzle individual biscuits with lemon syrup, but the flower-shaped madeleine pan, the crunch of the polenta, the slight tang, the chewy centre and Eldest's joy at scoffing two as soon as she came in from school has shown me that Julie is definitely onto something. I just have to think up a small plan for tomorrow.

There's a chocolate version too - it's been popular at my workshops.

Lemon polenta biscuits

Cream together 6 oz sugar (I used golden caster) and 3 oz softened butter. 
Add 4 oz ground almonds, 1.5 oz plain flour (gluten free works just as well), 1.5 oz polenta, zest of a lemon, juice of half a lemon and 1 egg, lightly whisked. 
Mix together thoroughly
Divide between the recesses of a madeleine pan or space walnut-sized portions onto a parchment-covered baking tin
Bake at 160 (fan oven) for 12-15 minutes or until golden around the outside.
Woof several with a cuppa

Chewy chocolate biscuits


Cream together 6 oz sugar (I used golden caster) and 3 oz softened butter. 
Add 4 oz ground almonds, 1.5 oz cocoa powder,0.5 oz flour (gluten free works just as well) and 1 egg, lightly whisked.
Mix together thoroughly
Place walnut-sized portions onto a parchment-covered baking tin 
Bake at 160 (fan oven) for 12-15 minutes or until very slightly darker around the outside.
Scoff several as a small antidote to the overly long winter