24 Feb 2014

Coast



Half term was approaching and we were all slightly jaded. Despite being the shortest month, February can be rather grey and incessant. Another sheet of maths homework? Some more rain? Spring still not here? Garden still looking like the trenches? Oh. 

The urge to get away struck. We needed a change of scene. The British seaside has become so fashionable in recent years that it's almost become a cliche. Still, I yearned to play chicken with a wave and duck as a seagull tried to burgle my chips. (Inadvertently that sentence has three types of fowl in it).

I knew where we should go. I stayed there for 36 very precious, soothing hours last July

This is one of the first things to be seen as we opened the door: a little driftwood wreath. 





This is on the wall in the kitchen...



...and there are 36 of these. 36! I adore Shaker pegs and rows of old coathooks (see my last post). They're the best kind of hangy storage.



It's a place that is 2 minutes' walk from this


and this (slightly eerie sea buckthorn on the sand dunes)


and this.



It was sunny! There was a tiny spot of warmth! This was the British seaside in February. We were gobsmacked and nearly fell over (only partly due to the slight beach gale that was blowing). 

We flew a kite. Littlest and I made a museum of tiny shells in the sand dunes. No one came to visit it (except Eldest, the Mr and the dog) but we didn't mind.





I discovered some blackthorn flowering. I admit nearly cried a bit when I saw this. Also, I'm rather blown away by the camera on my new phone. Check out those stamens. Phwoar.



It's a place that caused all five of us to exhale with relief as soon as we got through the door. It's called Sandy Nook and is run by Gail and Victoria (and Percy the adorable whiskery-snouted terrier) all three of whom are v v lovely. The thought that they have put into the decor and detail means that it's a sanctuary for tired minds and those needing to sit and knit, make things out of lego and fry Welshcakes (I threw lemon rind and dried cranberries into the mixture for these. They didn't last long). 


The teapot at Sandy Nook is duckegg blue and there's a bowl of pebbles on the windowsill. I needn't say more really. We came home refreshed after a perfect coastal Norfolk fix. 



Note: this is a genuine recommendation. I don't write paid reviews on my blog.