3 Jun 2012

Country Living Magazine



There are so many good things going on over the next few days: my e-penpal and bloggy friend of three years is here from the US and is staying in the next village, we are all going here (fairy wings are at the ready), there are Jubilee celebrations in our village (I have blueberry-and-strawberry-Union-Jack-cake plans), and last week I received an email inviting me to be part of the upcoming Here Comes the Sun virtual handmade market over on the rather wonderful Poppytalk Handmade (it begins tomorrow). 



That list is more than enough excitement as it is, but my copy of Country Living magazine's July edition came through the letterbox yesterday. It is rather a special edition for me as there is a feature on my garden studio and my jewellery-making. I can hardly express how joyful this makes me. Country Living has long been, as Lola would say, 'my favourite and my best.' Its mix of interiors, craft, recipes, gardening and exquisite styling is...well, you hardly need me to write it - I know that many many craft bloggers share my feelings on it. Country Living now has its own blog too. See?- that proves that it is completely ace banana.



I received an email from the Country Living team last Spring about a possible feature. At first I didn't believe it was a real email. When I realised it was I nearly fell off my computer chair. The feature is second in a series called 'Women and Their Sheds.' Alun Callender came to photograph the beach hut and garden last July - I blogged about it here. It was such an exciting day. During the photoshoot I was enamelling this necklace (see below). In March the lovely Cate Butler (who writes My Country Memories inside the back page) interviewed me in the studio. I mention it here. We ate Rebecca's/Lydia's apple cake. She loved it so much that she asked for the recipe! Rebecca - I've been bursting to tell you.



That's not the only link from the feature to fellow craft bloggers though. If you have a copy then eagle eyes will spot...



 crocheted stones by Val, a little jar pincushion by Gina, a paper garland by Sue, a vintage embroidered tablecloth gifted to me by Steph, mention of patchwork curtains and quilts made by Thriftyhousehold, a mug by Melissa and behind me there is a crochet penny garland by Monica, hanging in the garden. I didn't get these beautiful handmade objects out especially - they're always there. You may also be able to spot another favourite item - my little South American folk chickens - there behind my pots of enamel. They're always in a hurry and one of them secretly wants to be a robin.



I've been so excited that I can hardly sleep. Truly, I've been up at silly o'clock writing this. My studio and garden and the objects and plants in them are so familiar to me - they're such an important part of my making - that it's rather mind-blowing to see them in a magazine- especially this one. I'm hoping I get back to sleep!



Hugest and most enormous thanks for each lovely comment left here. I will draw the winners of my four year anniversary giveaway next time xx